Journalism Internships & Media Internships in Asia
The Next Step Connections internship programs provides undergraduate & graduate students with guaranteed internship placement for exiting journalism internships in divers media outlets in:
- Hong Kong
- Shanghai (China)
- Bangkok (Thailand)
In today’s international context, international journalism internships will definitely make a difference when competing for a future position in print media (newspapers, magazines, online media, special interest) or broadcast media (TV, radio, film, online media).
Journalism is the investigation and reporting of events, issues, and trends to a broad audience. Although there is much variation within the industry, the ideal is to keep the citizens informed. Besides covering organizations and institutions such as government and business, it also covers cultural aspects of society such as arts and entertainment. The field includes jobs such as editing, photojournalism, and documentary.
Internship opportunities in Asia
As a Western media intern in Asia, you will most of the time work in English speaking media. English is an official language in Hong Kong and Singapore so interns of all backgrounds – gap year students, under graduates, recent graduates – will find many opportunities with our partner media in print and broadcast. In China and Thailand, interns will most of the time work in media that target the lively expatriate communities of Shanghai and Bangkok. If you speak the local language, you will have even more internship opportunities
Media outlets with positions in our internship program include
- Daily and weekly newspapers
- Weekly or Monthly magazines (tourism, life style, special interest magazines like sport or finance)
- TV stations
- Radio stations
- Film production companies
- Online media
Sample Media Projects
- Assistant editor for a weekly magazine, writing features stories, attending social events, proofreading.
COMPANIES WHERE WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY PLACED JOURNALISM AND MEDIA INTERNS
Shanghai Daily is an English-language newspaper in China started in October 1999 and owned by Shanghai United Media Group. Its primary audience is expats living in Shanghai, visiting foreigners, mainly overseas investors and tourists to Shanghai, and local white-collar workers proficient in English.
USA Today is an internationally distributed American daily, middle-market newspaper that serves as the flagship publication of its owner, the Gannett Company. The newspaper has a generally centrist audience. Founded by Al Neuharth on September 15, 1982, it operates from Gannett’s corporate headquarters on Jones Branch Drive, in McLean, Virginia.
This was an experience of a lifetime. I wish I could experience this all over again.
NSC interns have been involved and worked on the following projects:
- Working at the hotel reception desk processing bookings, cancellations, and guest inquiries.
- Responsible for coordinating activities with the restaurants and kitchen for the food and beverage department.
- Liaising with reservation, maintenance, and housekeeping departments in order to complete set tasks.
- Understanding contract rates and allotments with travel agents, wholesalers, and inbound bookings.
- Managing the creative English content of the hotel website.
Internship tasks will vary from company to company, as well as intern to intern. These are only examples of tasks that were carried out from previous interns.
LAND MORE THAN JUST AN INTERNSHIP!
Not only are our internship placements completely customizable, but also the experience we provide outside of the workplace.